Saturday, April 30, 2011

Redesign and Renovation





When we moved in to our 60 year old house we knew we would be doing some painting and renovating. We did the easy stuff first like Greg changing all the door knobs and I changed all the cabinet handles. Painting was on the easy list too, tedious, but not hard. Now after almost 3 years in this house we have decided to tackle the tougher jobs. We put crown molding in our living room and kitchen and then Greg got the "tiling bug".



I have been bugging Greg for ages to change the tile in our bathroom. We only have one full bath in our house, so it pretty much needs to stay clean. But with the super white tiles, 2 black-haired dogs, and my long brown hair the "stay clean" goal was out the window. I would get down on my hands and knees scrubbing up all the mess from fixing my hair and all the kids (and grown-ups) baths, but literally 5 minutes later it looked gross again. Sadly, this project kept on getting put off because neither of us had ever really laid tile. We had watched a lot on TV, and my motto on home renovations is "we can do that". But keep in mind when I say that I know we CAN do it, but it will probably take triple the time and double the cost.

So, this past weekend Greg and I decided that now was the time. We went and looked at some tile and then started taking a hammer to the ugliness. After about 5 minutes of pounding away at one tile, it finally started coming up. If all the tiles were going to take this long, we were in some serious trouble. After the first corner of the tile came up, Greg caught a glimpse of green underneath. I assumed that it was just that green board that you put down and then tile on top. As we started to chip up more tile, we came to discover that it wasn't green board, but actually the original mint green tile that was put in when the house was built in 1958.

I thought it was sort of retro, but there were some major chips in it and sadly couldn't be kept. We looked up on the internet of what we should do, and our info told us to just tile over the original tile. No problem there, less work for us!

We bought all our tile, my dad was nice enough to come help start laying on Tuesday and now 5 days later, we are ALMOST done laying all the tile. We still have to grout, seal the grout, put down quarter-round, caulk and then put the toilet back on. I think our "To-Do list" is longer than our "Accomplished" list, but I guess that's what we get with 2 jobs and 2 kids. We'll eventually get it done, and now that we only have one toilet, I REALLY appreciate two toilets. Pictures to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment