Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Food Chain

Lately, I've seen a few a things that make me question if I would have ever survived when we had to actually hunt for food. If I really thought about it, I really wouldn't have had to hunt, I would have been a gatherer because I was a woman. But my job still would have been to clean, cut and cook the meat. I think through Natural Selection my weak stomach and lack of being able to kill animals would have weeded my genes out a whole long time ago. Whenever I saw the first "Survivor" season and they were forced to eat bugs and rodents, I thought I would have given up in two seconds to forego having to eat something like that. Or, when I watch "Weird Eats with Andrew Zimmern" I can't believe he actually eats some of that stuff. It's funny to think that in other countries those items are delicacies, but here we would never eat them. For example, when he was in Asia for an episode he ate "Stinky Tofu". Tofu itself is not very appetizing, but put the word "stinky" in front of it and it sounds delicious! (not so much) The look on his face after taking one bite spoke the words for him. His face said, "That's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted!", but his words were,"mmm....that's interesting." Here are the things I've viewed: I usually don't watch Oprah. But I did watch the episode of how the biggest meat slaughtering plant did their job cleanly and efficiently. I've never really thought about how my meat gets from the field to the grocery store. It's always there though, cut nicely for me, or wrapped in saran, ready for me to cook when I get home. Anyways, they gave numbers of how many cattle they kill, and it was shocking! Then, the cameras took you through the process of what the cattle went through. The only part they didn't show was puting a big bolt in the cow's temple. I thought at first that this was the means to kill the animal, but this just renders him of no pain. Then, they cut the cow at a large artery and let him bleed out for a few minutes. I know, too graphic! But it definitely makes me think next time I chow down on a burger or steak. The other thing I saw was watching my carnivorous fish. We bought an Oscar fish awhile ago and only fed him fish food, but recently started feeding him live fish. I know this is a natural process, but it still gives me the willy's watching him. My friend was over the other day and there were only two fish left. I felt bad for them, because when they tried to swim away, it was actually only 2 feet and they would hit a glass wall and have to turn around and do it all again. We were mesmerized by this whole process and got lost for about 10 minutes just watching him. We finally turned away for what seemed like a split second, and the poor fish was gone! We were a little disappointed, but then Oscar was nice enough to spit the fish up and then eat him again for us. Hhhmmm....doesn't make me very hungry for Gorton's fish sticks. I guess my mind has been on food lately trying to figure out healthy options and meats for the kids. As you can see, I'm having a little bit of a hang-up on processed meats or fish. I suppose Nolan is too, because he doesn't really eat any meat as well. Sadly, he doesn't even really like the kiddie stuff, such as chicken nuggets or hotdogs. He's a pb&j kinda guy. Sorry if this entry made your stomach do a flop. It was on my mind and I had to tell somebody! By no means am I going vegan, but it does give me a little bit more perspective of where my food came from other than HEB.

No comments:

Post a Comment