Saturday, April 2, 2011

Amigurumi Addiction

So, I was perusing google like I sometimes do when I have a few minutes of spare time and I came across Amigurumi. It's the art of crocheting little animals/dolls/food/whatever you like. I was in a crocheting slump. I WAS making baby blankets, but at the end, all I have is a square of a lot of yarn. It really doesn't look like anything other than a four-sided shape. I was happy when I found this and it inspired me to get going again. To the left is the most fun amigurumi that I have done so far. When I made him, Nolan and I named him Mr. Elephant (not original, I know, but we like simple and to the point in our house). Nolan was a little sad to discover that Mr. Elephant has left the premise to hopefully be bought for another little boy or girl. This whole obsession was started with trying to find something special to make Nolan for his big "4" birthday. He has recently gotten in to MarioKart and loves Mario and Luigi. I found a pattern for these little mushroom guys and they were pretty easy to whip up. If you see one of these guys swinging from a mirror in an F-150, it is Greg's truck:) Greg is a fan of Mario as well, and I bet is pretty pleased that Nolan is following in his footsteps. Even though Nolan has already claimed these, I am keeping secret that I am making him Mario and Luigi dolls for his birthday (if they turn out okay). Sidenote: If you are a fellow-crocheter you can find Nintendo patterns for free online, due to copyright laws, they can't charge for them without written permission from Nintendo. There are some not-so-great patterns, but there are some really good ones floating around in the cyber world. To the right are the first things that I made. Previous to this amigurumi obsession I was on owls. I combined these two things and viola! we have amigurumi owls!! I just love their big eyes and round bellies, reminds me of little chubby babies, I guess. They have also left the Jones household, but Nolan hasn't really noticed yet. I hope that I stick with this hobby. These aren't just squares, but they are cute, loveable, huggable animals (and video game characters). On the list for future creations is a panda bear, Mario and Luigi (as mentioned above) and a Goomba...another character from the Mario games. He looks like an armless mushroom with small feet and a uni-brow. I love having projects with cute products. There's always something satisfying of working diligently on the same thing over a period of time and then having this object in your hands that actually looks like it's supposed to! Hope this has planted a seed of creativity for you, I know I'm itching to get some yarn out. Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment