Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Redecorating....again

When we moved in to our house, we knew one of the things we would have to do was paint, ALOT. The living room and kitchen were a poopoo brown and gold color. If you are thinking to yourself that doesn't sound so bad, you should have just looked up and seen that the ceiling was painted as well...ggrr. Apparently it was "in" to paint ceilings a color, and now we had the pleasure of painting it back to a less gold color. In the end, we decided to paint everything white, excluding to accent walls that we left brown. It stayed like this for awhile, and then the hand-prints and dirt marks started showing up EVERYWHERE. I guess we dropped the ball on getting flat paint that showed every mark and wouldn't wipe off. We should have gone the route of satin or eggshell where I could wipe off the dirt.

I think while painting the house, we have given Lowe's hundreds of dollars on paint supplies. This is in part to my laziness of cleaning off rollers. After using a roller, I would throw it away (I still practice this, but have not needed to paint as often).

Back to painting the living room...2 and 1/2 years later, the white is not so white and so we ventured to Lowe's yet again. I cringed at the thought of paying another $35 for a gallon of paint where the experienced Lowe's person promises that it will cover in one coat (which it never does) and eventually I run out before finishing and then have to pay more money for more paint. Lucky me, we passed by the Oops! paint and saw a color that would work. It's not my ideal, but it was $5 vs. $35...my stingy side got the better of me.

Now, my white walls (well only one, because I had to take a break) is now a sort-of tan color. It looks ok. I have learned from past mistakes and got an eggshell, so hopefully it will clean a little bit better.

My double-painting habit did not stop at the living room and kitchen, it also included our bathroom. It started out taupe, went neon yellow (it was REALLY bad), and then went to a tan. If you've ever painted a bathroom before, it also takes forever because there is so much edging and not a lot of quick roller painting.

Our bedroom has only been one color, but a did a huge no-no. When we moved in, one of the walls was completely wall papered, and they had a border around the rest of the room. I got all the wallpaper off of the wall, but had a hard time getting off the border because it was so tedious. I said screw it and just painted over it. Eh, it doesn't look too bad. Can I notice it? Yes. Did I really care at that point? No.


The kids' rooms have been completely painted. Mallory's by choice, Nolan's room was because he drew all over his walls and it wouldn't come off. No, they were not permanent markers, Yes, I was VERY mad. One day, I will look back on this and laugh, I have not reached that day yet.


Our back room went from a dingy dark color to a happy light green or mint. Thankfully, this room has only been painted once, but we did have to paint the ceiling as well.


So, if you have gotten this far on reading my painting timeline, here is a little rundown of what I have found out about myself through all this rolling and edging:

1. I don't like painting when forced to do it (found this out from Nolan's room)

2. I am indecisive about colors, hence the multiple painting jobs

3. Greg suggests I use a lot of blue tape, because I am a horrible edger

4. Lowe's is making a good profit on my lack of decorating abilities


Have a good time painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment