Friday, May 6, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 3



I have not yet cracked open the Martha Stewart cookie book for ideas. I was wanting a quick cookie and got this idea from a friend. You might think that it breaks one of my cookie rules, but it does not. Even though a lot of people out there have made this kind of cookie, I have not, until today. Do you know what it is yet? Cake mix cookie! The reason for cake mix cookie? Greg and I re-vamped our grocery budget (since prices are going up on everything b/c of gas) and we are working hard on using things in our pantry instead of just "buying, buying buying". So, keeping this in mind, I looked in the pantry and found a box of strawberry cake mix (from a previous sale, bought it, but didn't have a purpose for it). I'm not super fond of strawberry cake, but thought in cookie form it might be delicious. I looked up a quick recipe online, so here it is:



1 box cake mix (any desired flavor)

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1 cup of choc. chips or nuts or oats (whatever your preference)


I decided to forgo any choc. chips, nuts or oats and decided to make cookie sandwiches instead.


I made chocolate icing flavored with almond extract. Here is the recipe for the icing:

1/2 cup shortening

2 cups powdered sugar

1 tbsp. milk

1/2 tsp. almond extract

2 tbsp. cocoa powder

I guess I was sort of going for a "chocolate covered strawberries" feel, since it is close to Mother's Day. Yes, these are going to my mom for the special occasion. The icing turned out tasty. A hint of almond extract and the more you have it in your mouth, the more you can taste the chocolate.

I smeared quite a helping of frosting on a cookie and then sandwiched it with another. VIOLA! A delicious looking cookie, and super easy!!


PS. The beautiful model in the picture is my twin sister, Carrie. If you would like to be a part of the Cookie Project, come on over. Your payment is cookies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment