Friday, March 11, 2011

World's Best Splashers

Yet again, I am sitting here reminiscing as Mallory's first birthday approaches. I started thinking of the things that will never be the same in our house because of the kids:
  • I will forever have car seat indentions in the backseat. I lifted Nolan's car seat out the other day to clean under it, and there was a perfect impression of what the bottom of what his car seat looks like in the cushion. I hope someone makes a powerful enough vacuum to fluff it back up.
  • Peanut butter and jelly are permanent fixtures in our pantry. I do like pb & j, but Nolan could it eat for lunch and dinner and it never get old for him.
  • I now smell like baby. I adore the smell of baby, who doesn't? After Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion entered this house it not only went on the kids, it went on me as well.
  • Call me "Tongue Scratcher". It started when the it got warm outside and the shedding of the dog's hair was everywhere. Nolan came up to me with mouth wide open, tongue out as far as it would go and saying,"eh, eh!" This is my cue to look around and dig out a dog hair that haphazardly got in to Nolan's mouth. I have become somewhat of a pro at this.
  • Child safe locks are not really "child safe". We were the dutiful parents that put locks on all the cabinets to keep things in and keep kids out. Maybe our kids have super-human strength, but Nolan was able to rip them off and break them. We are down to one child-safe lock while Mallory thinks that it is her purpose in life to keep all cabinet doors open all the time.
  • Our furniture will never have that "new" look anymore. They are now worn-in and always have some kind of stain on them. If you know me, I am perpetually looking for the best sofa that will never look worn-in. 3 sofas down, and I have not found one yet to fit the bill.
  • Our bathroom should have one of those "CAUTION:WET" signs in it all the time. We are the parents of the World's Best Splashers.
  • It doesn't matter how much sleep I get, it is never enough. I never thought parenting would be so absolutely physically and mentally exhausting.
  • I now get to park in the "Shoppers with Children" spot at HEB, and get to sneak gummy bears for the kids. Love it!

All of these made me laugh. By no means do I look at these and feel sad about the daily grind of everything. I love that my car seats will never move because they are so well-formed to the cushions. I adore pb&j for its simplicity. It makes me feel needed when Nolan comes to me with mouth wide open. Being tired all the time gives you the perfect opportunity to snuggle with your little one, pop in a movie and take a nap. All these things add up to one happy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment