Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Heart Modern Conveniences

Hello friends, it has been a few days but I was waiting for something in life to inspire me to rant and rave about.

While driving through Downtown Bryan I saw this really old house and the family's laundry was all out on a clothes line to dry. What? No dryer? As much as I hate laundry (as mentioned multiple times before) I LOVE the smell of clean clothes. There's no greater feeling than getting a just-washed towel out of the dryer and it feeling all soft and fluffy and smelling wonderful (usually flower scented dryer sheets). Whenever a piece of clothing tells me to lay it flat, I always try that method first. It takes forever to dry, and then has that rough feel and just doesn't smell right to me. I am that person who throws everything in the laundry to make it feel nice. Eventhough a label might tell me to "lay flat" or "dry clean only" I usually throw it in. The result is lumpy comforters and shrunken clothes, but atleast they smell good!

What about all the other things we take for granted every day? There are some things that have just popped up over the past few years that make my life easier. For example, my debit card. No more writing checks for 10 minutes. I also appreciate the "pay at the pump". I probably would forgo gas if I had to get both kids out of the car to go and prepay, but now I just swipe my debit card while the kids sit happily in the backseat.

Greg just got a fun gadget that makes my life easier. It's one of those choppers where you put onions/garlic/etc. into that little machine, you slam down on the handle and it starts chopping. Very easy, no clean up and NO MORE TEARS!

Then, what about all the things that make my life easier that weren't around many years ago. No toothbrush? Go use a twig. No toilet paper? There's a nice pile of leaves out there. No ice? Guess you just have to drink just plain tea (iced tea being a luxury to me). All these things I use daily and could not imagine my life with out them.

I was then trying to think of the biggest convenience that I use daily, makes my life easier, and would go crazy without. The answer is....the remote control :) We lost our remote for a while and it annoyed me by the minute that I couldn't change the channel freely without getting up. I probably use the remote more than the regular person, because I am a compulsive flipper. I hate commercials and it seems that 15 channels in a row will have commercials...flip...to the next channel. I do like the TV, and the remote gives you the freedom to sit more than 5 inches away from the television. Have you ever seen those old pictures where the kids are sitting so close to the television set it seems their noses could practically touch? It's because they had no remote! (this is a theory, not based in truth) They sat so close so they could change the channel easier, which is probaby exactly the same thing I would do if we weren't bestowed the great technology of the remote control.

The only benefit that I could come up with for a "no-remote control household" is you would likely be 10 pounds thinner just walking back and forth to your TV. Sounds like the next fad diet: "Just throw away your remote control and lose 10 pounds!"

The more I look around me, the more I see all the objects that are made to make things easier for me. I just can't imagine myself taking the laundry down to the river and scrubbing my clothes out on a rock with a bar of soap, then coming home and hanging it to dry. All I have to say is, "Thank you Whirlpool, I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment