Monday, March 14, 2011

Web of Lies

Greg and I try to be truthful with Nolan.

When Nolan asked where all the small fishies were in the fishtank, I told the truth and said that the bigger fish, Oscar, ate them all and they are now dead. He was shocked for a second, but quickly got over it, and now even looks forward to getting more fish that Oscar can eat.

But now Greg and I (especiallly me) have started lying and I even got called out on it yesterday.

Probably about a week ago, Greg started buying kites and flying them in the street. Two kids down the street rode their bikes constantly down the street to "watch" Greg fly kites. They finally stopped and asked a lot of questions. Their final question was,"Can we borrow a kite?" Greg said no. They didn't understand because in their words,"you only have 4 people in your family and you have 5 kites." Greg still held firm and said no. While Greg was wrapping things up he hears the little girl say,"Wow, that's a really nice kite, I wish I had a kite like that." Hmmm...I wonder if that works on her parents, I should try it sometime.

A few days ago we were yet again outside the house flying kites. The kids rolled up and asked to fly one. Greg told them that all of the extra kites were in my car (which they were, because we had gone to the park earlier). A little while later when we were eating dinner, we see little eyes peering through our front door. Greg opens the door and the kids are there asking to borrow a kite. He finally agrees and then after they thoroughly tangle it after 5 minutes of playing with it, they put it back and run home....hhmmmm...

Yesterday, while I was outside painting crown molding (trying a little re-modeling) the kids come yet again. They ask for a kite and I tell them Greg has them. They called me out-"But your husband said they were in your car yesterday." Then, I swear, they start peeking in my car, and yes, there were kites in my car. But the REALLY expensive ones that we don't want to get tangled. I convince them that Greg is carrying all the kites (5-7 of them) on his motorcycle. They then inform me that they are getting their own kites from Sam's for $50. "That is one expensive kite" I say.

I guess the moral of the story is that we shouldn't lie, but since we didn't let them play with the kites but a few times, they are now getting one of their own.

I can just imagine the mom inside saying,"Go down the street and ask those people to borrow a kite, they'll let you." Guess again, Greg and I are hardcore about our kites. I will try harder next time to not lie to them, but kids are SO persistent it wears me out.

I'm sort of glad it's rainy outside and will have to skip kite flying today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment