Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pink Pull-Up Man

My friend Natalie told me about this article about a Canadian family who is raising their latest (3rd child) gender-neutral. Absolutely intrigued me. Here is a link to the article to fill you in:
www.washingtonpost.com/blogs (You might have to click around for a little bit)
I also just googled "raising gender neutral children" and it was the first link to pull up.
Very interesting...is it even possible?
Everything in our society seems to lean towards boy or girl, from bedding to clothes to even diapers. But don't kids naturally gravitate to things that might fall under "boy" tendencies and "girl" tendencies?
For example: little boys will make a gun out of anything. Stick, finger, baseball bat...whatever. I don't think Greg has ever walked around and tried to teach Nolan this, he just did it naturally. We never really owned a lot of cars or Thomas the Trains, but that was something he was drawn to in the toy aisle.
Likewise, for Mallory. She had gotten a toy purse for Christmas, and we had not played with it, because I thought she wouldn't like it. Then, I saw her playing in the arts and crafts drawer where she pulled out a chalk bucket, put it in the crook of her elbow and walked around like she was hot stuff and had a Coach bag. I pulled out her play-purse and she opened it up, chatted on the play-phone, sucked on the lipstick tube and then wore the purse around. Lord knows, she did not learn that from me. Okay...maybe the talking on the cellphone, but Greg does that as well. But I rarely put on lipstick, if I do, it's lipgloss .
Is this kind of stuff built in to their genes? I don't know, just makes you think.
Coincidentally, right after reading the article we ventured out to HEB for our weekly shopping trip. I was floored by the prices of pull-ups, but a HUGE bag of pull-ups that were in the markdown section caught my eye. I love a good deal, but the only downfall was it was covered in Disney Princesses, hot pink and hearts on the bottom. I picked them up fast and bought them, stuffed them in Nolan's drawer and crossed my fingers he wouldn't notice. When bedtime rolled around I told him to go get one, he grabbed it and put it on. Then, our conversation:
Nolan: "Are these for me? Is this a prize?"
Me: "Yes, they are yours. What do you think?"
Nolan: "They're BEATIFUL! I LOVE them!"
Me: "hahhahahahhahah"
He had not qualms about putting them on. Is it because I've done a good job of raising him gender neutral? Probaby not.
Then, today Nolan pulled out my gold snakeskin heels (which I've only worn a few times) he threw them on and walked around the house. I love that boy!

Back to the article: How are they going to keep him or her gender-neutral for more than 2 or 3 years? By that age they are going to notice that mom and dad look different, and have different features and body parts. And the child will probably want to know what they will look like when they get older. My fear would be that they would try so hard to keep them gender-neutral it would confuse him. How will they teach him/her to use the restroom? As talented as girls are, I don't know any who have mastered peeing standing up. What kind of haircut will they give him/her? Something in the middle, maybe a little too long to look like a boy, but too short to think of girl when you see the child.
Maybe I'm thinking way too in to this. I've never (and hopefully won't in the future) push Barbies on to Mallory or Thomas the Train on to Nolan just because I think they're gender appropriate. I'll let them play with what they want, but is that treating them gender-neutral? I don't think so, they are only toys after all.

PS...I didn't take any incriminating pictures of Nolan in a pink pull-up or heels, but I still might :)

No comments:

Post a Comment