Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 10






This week came and went, and after trying to think of a really good cookie, I thought I'd struck gold with this one. It all started with my grocery shopping trip and wanting to get some basics. I mosey up to the peanut butter section, and there sitting on the shelf like a beacon of light is Nutella. Oh, how I have missed you. I think to myself that there must be the perfect cookie recipe out there with Nutella being the main ingredient. I snatched it off the shelf (well, not actually Nutella, but a rip-off that was $1.50 cheaper) and barely made it home to get a taste. Nolan, of course is a huge fan. He just thinks it's chocolate that I smear on his toast for breakfast. I can't blame him for loving it, it must be in the genes. So, here is the recipe I found:

Chocolate Nutella Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1 cup Nutella

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs

2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup of chocolate chips

1/2 cups chopped hazelnuts

Combine ingredient. Spoon tablespoon-sized drops of dough onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


After making them, I was very excited to try one. The reviews of the recipe made the anticipation even harder. Sad to say, they did not hit it out of the park. They are ok. I shouldn't expect all 52 weeks to be winners, but I was seriously hoping the Nutella cookies were spectacular. The reason they weren't great? Well, since Nutella being the main ingredient, I thought I would taste Nutella. No luck, cannot taste it at all. Some reasons why it might have gone wrong:

1. Was out of vanilla extract and had to use almond, was an overwhelming taste

2. The cocoa powder was a little overwhelming as well...will leave it out next time

3. Was fresh out of hazelnuts (kidding) and had to use walnuts

4. Didn't use a full cup of Nutella because we ate too much before cookie day :)

I don't know if any of these factors were major, maybe that's just how the cookie is supposed to taste. Greg likes them though, so they will slowly disappear.


The biggest disappointment is that I have a full container of cookies that I'm not going to eat, PLUS an empty jar of Nutella. Whoa is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment