Friday, June 3, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 7

It is not officially summer yet, but the heat is here. And, like on cue on the hottest day of May, Nolan busts out Frosty the Snowman and we watch the video. I guess Greg got the "I wish it were Christmas" bug and wanted me to make a pecan pie. I informed him that a pecan pie was not a cookie, but I found a pecan pie cookie! It was really simple, and tastes like a little pecan tart, but definitely follows my cookie rules.



Cookie:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

3/4 cup butter, softened

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder


Filling:

1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/4 cup whipping cream

1/ teaspoon vanilla


Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all cookie ingredients except flour and baking powder in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking powder. Beat until well mixed.


Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in each cookie with your thumb.


Combine all filling ingedients in small bowl; fill each cookie with 1 rounded teaspoon filling. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.


Greg has already eaten a few and I took a bite of one. It does have the flavor of pecan pie, and the middle of the cookies aren't as gooey as I thought they would be.


The only thing that I didn't like was how much they spread out. As you can see in the pictures, when I started off the cookies had a cute thumb print. Then, by the end product, it looks as though I have a grotesquely huge thumb. There


was a little bit of filling run-off, but nothing to be concerned about. I made my cookies a little bit bigger (of course) so they would hold a little bit more filling.


So, since I made the cookies bigger, the recipe was supposed to yield 3 dozen, but only yielded 2 dozen.


My model this week was Mallory...well not really a model, but my helper. Okay, not really a helper, she sort of just clung to my leg and wanted to be up high and tall.


Note: in the making of this blog I tried to put detailed pictures on here, which was a super pain. There is actually one picture that isn't on here because it accidentally got deleted. Too bad, because I'm not wasting another 10 minutes to try and get it on here.


Have a good time making a "Christmas Cookie" in the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment