Tuesday, June 14, 2011

...and puppy makes 3

Just to preface, Greg is a sucker for rescue dogs.
Example #1: Taco. Greg and I had been dating for only six months when he called me after he got off work and told me to come over. When I got there, he had a 2 lb. chihuahua mix in his hands wanting to know if we wanted to keep him. How did he come into possession of the dog, you ask? On his way home from work, he kept on hearing this whimpering and crying from the back of his truck. He finally pulled over to find the little dog wrapped in a towl that someone had dumped in the bed of the truck. In the end, of course we kept him! It's going on 7 years (or around there) that we have had Taco. I like him (mostly) but am glad that we saved him from the back of Greg's truck.
Example #2: Daisy. After Hurricane Ike we saw on the news that a pound in Conroe had such a huge overflow of lost dogs, caused by the hurricane, that they were going to euthanize a ridiculous number of them (I think 1,000?). We drove down there that day and picked Daisy out. The sad thing was that she had been spayed, and even electro-chipped, but someone had purposefully cleaned off her chip so they couldn't find the owner. We have loved having Daisy around. Eventhough she can sometime act a little spastic, she is very good with the kids and loves to play.
Enough backstory....now to the new stuff. A few days ago Greg came home telling me the SADDEST story about some puppies that an employee's spouse was trying to get adopted. The owner of the puppies had put them in a trash can, poured gasoline on them, and tried to light them on fire (I know what you're thinking). Thankfully, someone caught her before anything was lit, but they do have chemical burns from the gas because they were such young puppies. Now, they are staying with someone who works for the SPCA and are about 6 months old.
I asked Greg what he wanted for Father's Day, and he said this puppy. I could think of 100 reasons NOT to get the dog, but doesn't the story just break your heart?? I'm not totally sold on the idea until we see how the puppy interacts with our dogs and the kids, but I think the dog might be a "GO" in a few days.
I'm crossing my fingers that this will all work out for the best!
PS. If there are any "I" letters missing, that key isn't working too well. Don't worry, I know how to spell :)

No comments:

Post a Comment