Friday, September 2, 2011

Three's a crowd...in the bathroom



I hear the little patter of feet following me throught the house. I walk faster, also hearing those feet start running behind me. I get to the door, throw it open, but then I see little fingers grasp the door before it is fully closed. For fear of squishing small fingers, I sadly leave the door open. This is how visitors happen upon me in the bathroom.



I don't know what the fascination is, but I think my kids think this is where the party is taking place. For them, the tub must look like a pool; there is great tasting toothpaste; and then all those cool little bottles of color (nail polish) to play with.



I do love my kids and am glad to spend time with them, but the bathroom is NOT the place. We've been trying to teach Nolan that you need "privacy" when in here. He calls it the "private seat"...same difference to me. For some reason though, I get neither of these when the kids are awake.



For example, this morning: I slipped away to wash my face, brush my teeth, etc. and then hear Mallory crying outside the door. Nolan slips in to the bathroom to show me a plane that he has made (that makes 2) and then Mallory slips in shortly after to play with my nail polish (that makes 3). Taco, our dog, even joins in on the fun. By no means is our bathroom big, so we are all sort of on top of each other. My bathroom time has been ruined.



My favorite question that I get from Nolan while I'm in the bathroom is, "What are you doing in there?" What does he think I'm doing in there?? I've never been the kind of person to have a stack of magazines in there, or books so it's only really a few minutes that I'm asking for. (Too much information? Sorry!) I have definitely started thinking that maybe I should turn in to that person. Take my favorite magazine, lock the door, sit on the edge of the tub and have some peace and quiet.



The worst part is, I have started doing the same thing with Greg. When he is gone for too long, I'm knocking on the door demanding to know what he is doing in there. One time I felt as though he were gone for way too long, I barge in to the bathroom and catch him not even using the bathroom...he was playing Words with Friends!!! I felt he were cheating in some way, even though I was probably just jealous he had thought of this before me.



I guess I should feel thankful that my kids want to spend so much time with me, even though in inappropriate places. I'll probably be complaining in a few years that my kids never want to be around me and will wish for that time when the kids wanted to come sit with me even if it is in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment