Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Infomercials, anyone?


Have you ever caught yourself just watching the same infomercial over and over?? There must be some subliminal message in them telling you to watch it again, and then get on the phone and buy the product.
Why am I typing on such a silly topic? Because I'm hypnotized by this stupid P90X informercial for about the millionth time. I don't know how many times I've seen the same people be transformed from pudgy couch potatoes to abs of steel. And then the best part: they throw the arms up making a huge "X" and then preach how this program works for everyone.
Or the new one that I've been watching that is just like P90X called "Insanity", their slogan being, "because you have to be INSANE to do this workout". Does that sound corny and stupid to anyone else? But then they reeled me in by saying that if I finished the program and saw results I could get a free t-shirt. I LOVE free t-shirts!
I've also seen so many workout machines come and go. For example, there was the ab machine #1 where all you have to do is sit and twist and watch the inches melt away. Ab machine #2 was just sitting and then leaning forward while your back is supported by rollers. Eventually these became unpopular because I didn't see the infomercials anymore. Then, someone must have had the genius idea of putting these two machines together. Brilliant! I saw the new ab machine a few days ago where you can twist AND bend over at the waist.
Along with work out machines there are so many diet plans being sold that I like to watch. I don't know what it is about the "Before and After" pictures that always pulls me in. I'm always amazed by their transformation for just drinking juice, only eating veggies, going on nutra-system, or my favorite sprinkle some powder on your food.
The last weight loss system was called Sensa where all you had to do to lose weight was to sprinkle this chemical on all your food and you would eat less. It honestly just looked like salt and seemed too good to be true. I was so intrigued by this that i even went online and itWAS too good to be true! I spent way too many minutes searching what other people thought about it and did not find one positive comment.
I admit, I have never bought anything from an infomercial (or that I can remember). My parents used to though! My dad would accidentally fall asleep listening to an infomercial and then wake up and demand that my mom buy that amazing product on TV. Hence, the whole subliminal message theory. I have probably spent way too many hours zoned out watching stuff that I know I'm not going to buy, but I guess that's the hope: the more you watch, the more likely you will buy something.
I'll keep you updated if I ever get P90X :)

No comments:

Post a Comment