Friday, September 9, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 20

I've made it to Week 20!!

This week I gave a recipe for red velvet cake to a couple of girls at work wanting a new cake recipe. Then, I asked for ideas of a cookie on facebook. My friend, Catherine suggested Red Velvet Cookies. I love coincidences like that! But I have never heard of Red Velvet Cookies, so off to google I went. I searched through a few recipes, and then found one that was based on a Paula Deen recipe. If you don't know Paula Deen, she makes her recipes delicious by always using ATLEAST a stick of butter (and this recipe DOES include a stick of butter...haha).

The recipe seemed almost too easy, but also really good. After they were done baking, they ARE really good. Here it is:

SINFUL RED VELVET COOKIES

Ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature

1/2 cup butter, room temperature

1 egg

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 (18 ounce) box red velvet cake mix

confectioners sugar, for rolling and dustin

Directions:

1. Cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth

2. Beat in the egg, vanilla extract and then cake mix


3. Cover and refrigerate for atleast 2 hours

4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

5. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioners sugar

6. Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies should remain soft and gooey

They actually did remain soft, I don't know about gooey though. Should cookies be gooey?? Anyways, they have a really pretty deep scarlett color which doesn't seem to match what a cookie is supposed to look like, so it seems to be a nice surprise.


The recipe said that you could also top the cookies with cream cheese frosting, but I thought that might take away from the flavor in the cookie. If you really try to taste the cookie instead of automatically swallowing it, you can taste a little bit of the cream cheese that was added in to the batter. I think you would miss that if you added the frosting, just my opinion though.

The picture of the cookie does not give the color any justice. I couldn't capture the deep red color on my camera, so they seem a little more brown in the picture. But in real-life they are a much prettier color.


Also, I added this picture of Mallory just because I thought it was funny. This is her "smiley" face...haha.

HAPPY BAKING!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You went with the red velvet! They look amazing and the color looks great to me. Yummy...

    BTW, I can't figure out why it says "Adobe" instead of Catherine?! hahaha

    ReplyDelete