Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Germany, Here We Come!



The big day is only a week away now. I don't know if these last 7 days will go lightning fast, or slow as molasses. We will be gone for two weeks and my lists have piled up. I did have a mental list going, but then couldn't sleep because it was just floating around in my head. I wrote it all down, and it is too numerous to count. I have a list for the kids, for their "Box of Fun", for Greg and I, a list of things to do around the house, etc. I was almost tempted to make a list of all my lists just to keep them all straight. Greg said this is my OCD side coming out. I say it is just "being thorough".



I have itemized everything and typed them up and will organize everything a few days before we leave. Since the time we will be gone from our house is so lengthy, I seem to want to pack everything in sight. I asked Greg if I should put my blowdryer and straightener on the list and his response was, "You don't think they have blowdryers in Germany?" Well...just trying to be prepared. I keep on trying to pack two-weeks worth of clothes for all of us, but continue to remind myself that there are washer and dryers in existence outside of our house. I've got it wittled down to a weeks worth now.



Now to the fun stuff...



We will be landing in Germany on July 22nd and will be spending the week teaching baseball to youth and sharing the word of Christ. Greg and I will be staying in a host home for the whole time, except for maybe a few days while sight-seeing. We get to teach them "Texas" things like the two-step or the yells from Texas A&M. We even get to play a German Intermural Baseball team (which I am super nervous about). Here's a little list of what I want to do while there:



1. Learn some German!



2. Try Spatzel, schnitzel, and saurkraut (spellings may not be perfect)



3. Drive or ride on the Autobahn



4. Survive my first international flight



I bet that list will grow as a get closer to leaving. The only thing that I don't want to happen is get hit by a ball or bat. I know it sounds silly, but there are going to be a lot of people there who will be swinging bats and throwing balls. With my luck, I'll probably take a ball to the eye and have a beautiful shiner as my memento.



The thing I will miss most while being away are the kids (of course). It will probably go by so fast for them and they will have so much fun, they will probably never want to leave Greg's parents house. As long as they still recognize me when I get back, I won't mind :)



To wrap this up, I'd like to give you some links of the church we will be working with, as well as the Baseball Camp we will be teaching. Check it out! It's all in German, but you can easily translate it to English:









1 comment:

  1. You'll have to make sure to say hello to the girls who stayed with us last summer - Christine (Tina) Rempel and Marina Selmanovic. They were so sweet and Marina even gave her testimony to the group in the Vine (college Sunday school). Christine speaks very good English and is very tall; Marina is/was still learning how to converse in English and is very short. :)

    I think about those girls a lot and I miss them tremendously. I wish that I could have gone on the trip - especially since y'all are going! but I know it wasn't meant to be with my pregnancy. Which means of course, you're next. ;)

    ReplyDelete