Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 14




I thought I'd squeeze in one more cookie before we left. The only problem being that I had limited ingredients in my house and wasn't going to go buy a lot of stuff right before we leave. I was out of the two most important ingredients to baking: sugar and flour, but we made it through! These cookies don't actually contain any sugar, but they did require flour. I didn't have enough, but after digging through the pantry I found cake flour! I used the cake flour in place of regular flour and they turned out great! These cookies are by far the prettiest to look at and the most petite. I could imagine making these for a fancy party (if I ever went to fancy parties).




CHOCOLATE THUMBPRINTS
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 6 tablespoons butter


1 cup confectioners' sugar


1/4 teaspoon salt


2 teaspoons vanilla extract


2 1/2 cups all purpose flour


6 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips)


2 teaspoons corn syrup


DIRECTIONS:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees


2. Mix butter, confectioner's sugar, salt and vanilla for two minutes. Beat in flour


3. Form balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each. Place balls 1 inch apart. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, and press thumb into cookie to make deep, wide indentations. Rotate pan, and return to oven; bake until light brown on the edges, 7 to 9 minutes more.


4. Combine chocolate and the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter, and the 2 teaspoons corn syrup. Heat in microwave-safe bowl for 40 seconds, mix. Let thicken a little bit and then fill the indentions with the chocolate. The chocolate will firm up overnight in the cookie



**The directions tell you to keep a bowl of ice handy for step #3, since you are using your thumb to make indentions in hot cookies. This didn't sound safe to me (and I don't want to use my thumb in hot dough) so I used a melon-baller to make the indentions. It worked great!



**The original recipe also tells you to use a double-boiler to melt the chocolate, but the microwave method worked just fine, was less messy, and was a lot shorter in time.


They are pretty yummy too! See you in two weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment