Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 12






Happy National Sugar Cookie Day!!


And what kind of cookie do you think I made this week? Pretty obvious, right? I needed to make sugar cookies for a baby shower this week and wanted to decorate them very prettily. The recipe below is a HUGE batch of cookies. I divided the recipe up in to two batches and used one for the cookies, and will freeze the other half for a later time. The half that I used made over 50 sugar cookie cut-outs which were fairly thick. Here you go:


SUGAR COOKIES

3 cups sugar

4 sticks of butter
4 eggs

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

6 cups flour

2 tsp. baking powder

Directions: Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla. Then, add salt, flour and baking powder. Form two large balls and refrigerate overnight. Roll out and cut in to shapes. Bake at 350 degrees until done (around 12 minutes).


The shape that I used was a rocking horse. The good thing about this dough is that it doesn't puff up too much when you bake it, so it holds the shape well. The cookies came out of the oven still looking like rocking horses, I was very excited. Then, I decided to put a glaze on them. I made the glaze out of powdered sugar, milk and extract. This glaze gets pretty hard and looks good on cookies. After I slathered it on to all the cookies, you couldn't tell they were rocking horses any more. So, I used some buttercream frosting to try and make it look like a rocking horse again.


Sadly, they looked weird to me. They either looked like a cow or a mis-shapen hat (held upside down). I was hoping no one else would notice at the baby shower. When I brought them in the girls said they looked really cute, then the dad-to-be walked in and said,"Are those supposed to be sheep?" So, instead of them looking like cows to me, they look like sheep to him. It didn't hurt my feelings, I knew they could have looked better (and will next time with my extra dough in the freezer).


Embrace National Sugar Cookie Day and make them soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment