Saturday, March 17, 2012

"I Speak for the Trees" Party

Mallory is officially 2 as of today! Let the Terrible Twos begin! Since Mallory was born on St. Patrick's Day, a green-themed birthday party was used up instantly on her first birthday. I thought of so many ideas for her 2nd birthday, it was really hard to narrow it down to one. But since this is probably the last year that she really won't have a say in what her party is AND "The Lorax" came out in theatres, we went with a Lorax-themed party. To begin with, I love Dr. Seuss. Secondly, I love The Lorax and the message it gives to the kids. I really didn't know what that message was until I got older and could really understand what he was writing about, but now as an adult I appreciate the environmental approach he took in the book especially to a younger audience.
Back to Mallory's birthday...
Carrie helped me make a Picture Wall. We had a few Truffula Trees, brown-bar-ba-loots frisking about in the their barbaloot suits and a few fish humming. My mom whipped up a Lorax mustache and someone brought a Dr. Seuss hat. Some double-sided tape, and you have a cute wall for kids to dress up and take pictures. I will be using those pictures as a thank you card for coming. I know my sister looks miserable, but she really did have a good time!
Her food table and decorations on the wall. The wreaths are shades of green felt (leaning toward St. Patty's Day-theme). I downloaded a Dr. Seuss font (for free) from the internet and made a Happy Birthday banner. Nolan really wanted to help, so I printed out some free Lorax coloring pages and let him color them and we taped them to the wall.
All of the food corresponded with something from the book. The picture above is Swomee Swan Eggs, which were Robin's Eggs. I had such a hard time figuring that one out. I got lucky with Robin's Eggs since it is Easter time. Then, the Brown Barbaloots are brown Teddy Grahams.
Then, we have Truffula Fruit. Yet again, I sort of combined St. Patty's Day and The Lorax by making a rainbow with gold at the end . The marshmallows represent the puffy clouds, the Pot of Gold are Rolos. Not pictured: Humming Fish=Gold fish , I "Thneed" a Chip= Chips (I know I was using my imagination on this one, but I had to think of something.
Mallory loved every minute of it, especially the pinata. Greg came home with a huge unicorn pinata a few days ago that Mallory has been eyeing every time they go in to HEB together. After Mallory took a few good swings with her dad, it was the big kid's turn. It took only a few swings for the head of the unicorn to be knocked off. Then, her face was priceless, "Oh, no!" The head of the unicorn is now laying in her room. The reason? I have no idea why.
I know I had a great time, and I hope everyone did too. I am a little bit exhausted though and glad that birthdays only happen once a year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment