Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Big Cookie Project: Week 36

The rules that I made up 36 weeks ago have basically been thrown out the window. I told myself I wouldn't fix any bar cookies (anything from a 9x13 pan). Well, these caught my eye and now I have broken another rule. I'm revising the rules and making two guidelines:
1. It has to be classified as a dessert
2. It needs to sound delicious :)
I WAS going to put that it needs to be baked, but there are some no-bake recipes that I would like to try. Why tie myself down to an oven?
So, this week another great pairing caught my eye. A few weeks ago, I chose a classic pairing of peanut butter and jelly. This week I went with salty and sweet. This recipe contains chocolate chips AND pretzels! Mmmmmm.....
CHOCOLATE CHIP AND PRETZEL COOKIE BARS
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cupt light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups mini pretzel twists, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chocolate chips, for drizzling (optional)
1/4 cup peanut butter, for drizzling (optional)
1/4 cup pretzels, crumbled, for topping (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Mix in dry ingredients. With spatula stir in chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
3. Spread batter in the pan and press down with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Drizzle on melted chocolate, peanut butter and sprinkle pretzel pieces on top if desired. Let set and cut in to squares (32 squares).
**from www.browneyedbaker.com
They did turn out pretty delicious. I've been missing the bar desserts in my life for the past 36 weeks, and I'm glad I started with this one.
On a side note: I thought I should let you know a BIG goal of mine. I do some crocheting on the side and have been saving every penny. Greg keeps on bugging me about what I want to do with the money. It's really not that much...but I needed a goal to work towards. So, my goal is to get a new convection oven! Very excited, I'm hoping to get it with some time left in my Big Cookie Project. I'm afraid if I get it after, I might be burnt out on making cookies for awhile :) Another note: We made it through our first Lady Aggies Basketball game! We went with Nolan's bestie and we had a great time. We did have to buy a few bags of M&Ms but it was a great night. My goal next time: I thought it would be super cute if they made the "Kissing Cam"....just a hug or a peck, but it would be really sweet!

Have a blessed week friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment