Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 26

Halfway there!! I can't believe I've spent half a year baking cookies on a weekly basis...and eating them just as fast.


I thought a good fall cookie would be great for the cooler temperatures outside. I typed in "fall cookies" on google, and these leaves and acorns popped up that were decorated very intricately. I don't know if I'm that good yet, so I asked my next go-to person, Greg. I told Greg I wanted a cookie that said, "It's fall outside!" I don't know if he got the concept of that, because he chose a Coconut Macaroon Cookie. I don't think they say anything about fall, more like,"Summer is here!" I made them anyways.
They were super easy, only a few ingredients.
COCONUT MACAROONS
Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
***If you use SWEETENED shredded coconut, reduce the sugar from 3/4 cup to a 1 tablespoon
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2. Combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Mix well, completely combining ingredients.
3. Use a 1 1/2 tablespoons to form mounds, place on baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.
4. Bake until golden brown, about 16 to 17 minutes

These were very quick and easy. It was also nice because I fit them all on one pan. I knew they weren't going to spread, just bake in the spot I put them, so I put them pretty close together. The two things that I changed from the recipe:
1. I used a little ice cream scoop to do the balls, you could even use a melon baller. It seemed to help pack the balls tighter.
2. I cooked them a lot longer than 17 minutes. I waited until they were brown on top, and they turned out just fine. I think they would have been underdone if I had only cooked them for the allotted time.
I hope you enjoy this "fall" cookie...haha. I'm hoping to pick a better cookie next week that fits with the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment