Friday, October 7, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 24

Hello, again! This is my first cookie that contains raisins. Let me share with you on what I think about raisins:

I don't know what it is about raisins, but they seem so yucky to me. The premise of a raisin is that you leave a perfectly good grape outside and then let it bake in the sun and shrivel up to a tenth of its size...then you have a raisin! I've never really enjoyed them, maybe because of all their wrinkles and distinct smell. I was trying to think of another fruit that we do that to and couldn't come up with any. When bananas in our house start to shrivel and turn brown, their next home is the trash can. The same goes for all the other fruit that comes in to our refrigerator. I know of their health elements, the kids like them, but I choose not to participate in their grape-eating.
Then, why did I make these cookies? Special request, and since I like her so much I did it! Atleat I won't be sneaking any of these in the middle of the night for a snack.
Am I crazy and the only one who feels this way? I think Greg might think so.
Here's the recipe:



OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES


Ingredients:


3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats


1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour


1/2 cup toasted wheat germ


1 teaspoon baking soda


1 teaspoon baking powder


1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


1/2 teaspoon coarse salt


1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter


1 cup packed light brown sugar


2 large eggs


1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


1 1/2 cups raisins


Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.


2. Cream butter and sugars together in a mixer. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Mix in oats and raisins by hand


3. Drop dough on to baking sheet spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets.


The one thing I do admit about these cookies is that they make the house smell good with the cinnamon. And the do look very pretty when they are done.


I hope you are a raisin lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment