Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 31

Turk(ish) Cookies!! Do you like my play on words? Well, it's not really a play on words but close enough. I thought of making cookies that looked like turkeys to celebrate Thanksgiving, but instead I made cookies that were FROM Turkey! I don't know if people from Turkey have any knowledge of Thanksgiving, but I'm definitely using one of their recipes to celebrate Thanksgiving in Texas. So then I started looking for Turkish cookie recipes and found a shortbread recipe. The reason I chose it was because it had an ingredient that I don't think I've ever used in cookies before...corn starch?!?! Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:

400 grams butter/margarine at room temperature (I did the conversion and it's about 3 1/2 sticks)

9-10 Tbsp. powdered sugar

1 Tbsp. vanilla

3 cups corn starch

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup powdered sugar for top (optional)

Directions:

1. Take powdered sugar and soft butter/margarine in a large bowl and mix. Add starch slowly

2. Add vanilla and flour. Mx until dough becomes smooth and soft

3. Grab large pieces of dough and roll in to a ball, place on cookie sheet and gently press down.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar when they come out of the oven.


When making these cookies in to balls it reminded me of the "Corn Starch Experiment". If you've ever done it in school, the whole thing is that when you mix corn starch and water it becomes this liquid that when you apply pressure to, it seems solid; but when you reduce the pressure it seems to turn in to a liquid again. When I was finished with the dough, it seemed very crumbly and I thought making the balls would be a disaster. But just like the experiment, after I applied pressure to make the balls, they magically came together and formed a solid ball!


After I dusted them, I couldn't wait for them to cool and see if they would taste delicious or gross. They were really good! The only downfall to this cookie is that it is very dry and sucks the moisture out of your mouth. Definitely have a drink close at hand! All in all, I give them two thumbs up.


Enjoy your Turk(ish) Cookies for Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment