Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 30

Yay for Lemony Sour-Cream Cookies! These turned out really well this week and have a hint of lemon flavor, but is not overwhelming. The only problem I ran in to was that the recipe asked for freshly grated lemon peel. Apparently, I have no clue how to grate a lemon peel. We have one of those graters with four sides and four different sizes of grates. I used every single side to try and grate some lemon, but had no success. After a few minutes of struggling, I finally just cut off a chunk of peel and tried to dice it as small as possible. I must be handicapped in the "zesting" department. If you look hard enough you can see a large chunk of peel that I didn't chop small enough, but added great flavor when I bit in to it.
Also, if you are looking for a cookie without eggs, this is the recipe for you. The sour cream in the recipe gives it that extra moisture and was a good replacement. Here's the recipe:
LEMONY SOUR-CREAM COOKIES:
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In small bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt.
2. In large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream, lemon peel and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture just until blended.
3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons, 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are set and edges are golden, 1o to 12 minutes. Cool on a cookie sheet.
4. Repeat with remaining dough

I bet these cookies would go great with a cup of hot tea, but since I am not a hot tea drinker someone else might have to try that out for me. Enjoy, and I hope you have a better time grating than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment