Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stating the Obvious

Have you ever had someone tell you something that was obvious in their eyes, but you didn't have a clue? Then, when you think about it, they are absolutely right. For example, Greg can give me that,"Are you going to be moody for the next week and crave sweets?" look with a narrowing of his eyes. Then, I think now that he mentions it:
1. yes I am a bit crabby
2. a candy bar sounds delicious right now.
Good call Greg.
We started a new bible study in Sunday School and the man who is speaking keeps on pointing out things that I DO need in a marriage, but have never given a second thought to. We started "Love and Respect" three weeks ago and have learned about "love tanks" and pink and blue hearing aides. He said a few things that hit home though.
Today he pointed out that women need "face to face" interaction. I never really thought about it, but Greg and I do have the best conversations when we're sitting across from each other in a booth at a restaurant. Then I thought back to when he purchased his smart phone. I literally went through phases of wanting to take a hammer to his new phone and pounding that stupid thing in to a million pieces (I still have these phases). Why the aggression? Because he wasn't making eye contact with me while I was ranting about the days happenings. He was playing Angry Birds or Solitaire. The only way I thought he could listen is if he was looking at me as well. Even though Greg is totally capable of listening to me while playing a game, I lack this male gene in my DNA and always assumed he was ignoring me. Now both of us know, and hopefully will make the effort to put down the electronics while conversing.
Another funny thing the speaker pointed out was when women tell their husbands to choose a restaurant to eat at, the wife expects the husband to choose the restaurant that the WIFE wants to eat at, NOT the husband. Even though we have left the decision up to the man, he should still keep the wife's favorite restaurant in mind. When he said this, the whole class broke out laughing because I think this has happened to every couple, just have never thought about it. Greg knows that I would rather go to Olive Garden or Cheddars, but every time I let him decide we always end up somewhere where everything is fried and they have amazing steak or chicken fried steak. Well...that's what I get for letting him decide, maybe I should speak up next time instead of assuming he can read my mind.
We've been joking around the house of "what fills your love tank?" Mine is through actions or chores that I don't have to remind him about. Sadly, I do love my husband a little more every time he does the dishes, unloads the dishwasher or makes the bed without me pestering him to death about it.
I haven't figured out what fills Greg's "love tank". Could it be praise, actions, words of affirmation? He says he doesn't know. One thing that I know he hates and would like me to do more of is knowing what we are having for dinner when he gets home. He takes bets with employees betting that when he comes home at 5:30 pm and asks me, "What's for dinner?" my answer will likely be,"I don't know." It shouldn't be that hard, I do a meal swap and have a stack of meals in the freezer. Does this help me prepare something? Sometimes, but usually I'll bust out a frozen meal 30 minutes before dinner time knowing full and well that I should have taken it out that morning to thaw. Anyways...I'm trying harder.
So, I guess stating the obvious is working for me, and I'm very curious to what the next 9 weeks has in store in our bible study class. Hopefully I'll be learning new things of how relationships work and how they last.

No comments:

Post a Comment