Friday, February 24, 2012

Sewing a Shirt

You know how aggrevating it is to have an idea of something you want to buy, but can't find it? I have this problem frequently, usually in the clothing department. I'll have this very specific idea of what I want a top to look like, what fabric I want it made out of, and how it should look on me. I spend time looking online or even going shopping for something that usually doesn't exist. I had a top that I got from Old Navy a few years ago and liked the look, so I spent last night trying to make a copy of it out of material that I chose.

Here's the top that I tried to copy. I like it, but the only thing that was annoying was the big keyhole in front...I was constantly trying to fix it so as not to flash anyone. I went to JoAnnes and picked out some really pretty eggplant-colored fabric. I was a little shocked at the price ($9.99/yard), especially since I didn't know if it was going to work or not, or all end up in the trash. I went ahead and did it anyways (now that I look back, it's a little sad that a splurge for me is less than $10). I only bought one yard, and then bought 1/4 yard of some cream satin for the tie around the neck (not pictured). When I checked out, the fabric was half off because it was at the end of the bolt, yay! I came home, used my Old Navy top, started cutting and sewing. Here is the end product:


I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out looking like a top! It even fit like a top! I made this top maybe an inch or two longer than the original, because I like my tops long. I made my satin tie, strung it through the neck and it just didn't look right. I took it out and used some thick ribbon that I had and tried it next. It still doesn't feel right either. I have toyed with the idea of taking some satin fabric, eggplant fabric, braiding it and using it as a neck tie. The braided tie idea looks really good in my head, but don't know how it would look in real-life. If you have any ideas, send them my way.

All in all, not a bad investment for $6. Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! It looks incredible! I'd love to learn how to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete