Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Big Cookie Project: Week 33

Gingerbread time! I've been planning to make a gingerbread cookie in December ever since I started this project. The search was on for the perfect cookie recipe. Martha Stewart came to my rescue!



This is a picture of the outcome of the cookies that Martha Stewart made. Greg was doubtful on how they would turn out. He spent quite a lot of time trying to convince me to buy boxed mix, but I was set on making it from scratch. I then realized why he was trying to convince me, spices are expensive! We tried to buy as many off-brand spices as possible, but one spice was over $4! That hurt a little. If you want to save money, go to a store that sells spice in bulk and only buy what the recipe requires. That will save you a ton of money. We ended up not doing that b/c it was all the way across town and we were short on time. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work station

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. salt

4 tsp. ground ginger

4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. ground nutmeg

1 cup (2 sticks) butter

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups molasses

Royal icing (for decorating)

Directions:

1. Mix butter and brown sugar in an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and molasses and mix until combined. Add flour, spices, baking soda and salt and mix on low until combined. Divide dough in to thirds, wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.

2. Roll dough out on to generously floured counter until dough is just under 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes, place on cookie sheets and then place the cookie sheet in to freezer for 15 minutes, until firm.

3. Bake cookies in a 350 degrees F oven for 12 to 14 minutes, or until crisp but not darkened. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

4. Place icing in a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip. Pipe designs on to the cut-out cookies, immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

***A few things I changed: instead of using molasses, I used dark corn syrup b/c that's all I had in the pantry (Step 1). I used a ziploc bag with a corner snipped off as my icing bag instead of a pastry bag (Step 4). I sprinkled some of my cookies with sugar. The sugar was sticking nicely to the icing, but also sticking too well to the actual cookie. And I was making a mess in my kitchen, so I stopped sprinkling with sugar.


Here's my dough divided in to three equal parts...well not really equal. More like Papa, Mama and Baby Gingerbread :)Nolan helped me cut out all the shapes...we tried to stick with Christmas theme, but a few dinosaurs and trucks snuck in there.Here's all the cookies, it fixed A LOT!

The end product! Probably not as nice as Martha Stewart, but I'm still happy with them.

Hope the people at the Cookie Exchange like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment