Wednesday, February 23, 2011

To pee or not to pee

That is the question.

It has been amazing for Nolan to figure out how to use the restroom, but the following scenario happens atlease 5 times a day.

Scenario: Nolan is engrossed with blocks/trains/reading/tv and I ask him, "do you need to go potty?" No is always his response. Then, like lightning struck him, he shoots up and starts edging to the bathroom steps (babys steps of course). I ask him again if he needs to use the restroom...no is still his response. Then, slowly his knees touch and he starts swaying side to side and wiggling around. Yet again, "do you need to go potty?" "NO!" I always think his thoughts might be, "woman, stop asking me if I need to use the restroom! That question is getting old!" Then, suddenly out of nowhere he shoots for the bathroom door screaming," I got to go potty, I got to go POTTY, I GOT TO GO POTTY!" He starts banging on the door (because of those child proof knobs) and is begging to get in. All I can do is open the door for him and die laughing.

You would think after this multiple times a day he would figure it out. You don't have to wait until you are about to burst. But I have found through many years of people watching that this "I'm holding it until the last moment possible" syndrome does not just plague 3 year olds, it plagues adults as well.

For example, P.C. (pre-children) Greg and I would go out (crazy, right?) to the Chicken and play 42 (a dominoes game). I would sit there and watch Greg play with three other guys while they were chugging back beers. If you've never seen anyone play 42, they never want to leave their hand, thinking they always have to finish before leaving the table. So, this being the case, I would watch the 42 players for the symptoms of "I'm holding it until the last possible moment" syndrome. Their eyes would sort of glaze over, they would lean forward, and then when that method failed, they would start playing dominoes as fast as possible for fear of having to leave their hand in the middle of a game. The energy that they would shoot out of their chair and sprint to the bathroom always amazed me.

So, as much as I ask Nolan that very important question, I guess it is built in to his genes that he has to say no, for fear of missing something spectacular while in the restroom for two minutes. Now all I can do is sit back, be the door opener on request, and get a few laughs a day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment