Sunday, February 20, 2011

Impressive Wingspan


After sitting and watching Toy Story 3 for the billionth time, it got me wondering what makes Buzz Lightyear and Woody heroes? Is it Buzz's impressive wingspan, how his helmet does that swishy sound? Is it Woody's calmness with a snake in his boot, his quick draw of his gun? I think not.


The definition of a hero is a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and nobel qualities. I have to admit that Buzz is pretty brave, and Woody is nobel. But outside of the 3-year old mind, what makes a hero. My definition of a hero is also courageous, brave and nobel; but also does the right thing when it's usually the toughest and puts others before self.


My hero this morning was Greg ( who was quite surprised that his name ended up in the blog URL, but that's what he gets for marrying me) as he was very brave and nobel. I had needed a quick shower for church and stepping in to the shower, apparently a large bug needed to be clean before church as well. I started screaming Greg's name like my life depended on it and he ran in there in 0.5 seconds thinking I was dying. Come to find out it was only a bug, he scooped it up and flushed it. Even though he gave me the "you are crazy and you need to get over your fear of bugs" look, he was still my knight in shining armour.


I would like to think that Greg and I are the kids' heroes. We cannot leap tall buildings, but I can get the house cleaned fairly quickly. We cannot stop a moving locamotive, but Nolan would testify that we do a good impression of Thomas the Train. We cannot fly, but we can throw the kids pretty high! I would hope our actions would show selflessness of putting them first. Feed them first, bathe them first, put them to bed first. And all of this done with a nobel quality (most of the time).


In short, I would guess that you fulfill one of these "hero" qualities to someone somewhere. Whether it be a roommate, neighbor or child, they look up to you in some way. Congratulations, because it is an honor and we don't even have to wear spandex or a cape!


As Buzz would say, "To infinity and beyond!"


No comments:

Post a Comment