Monday, February 21, 2011

Hoarding Tendencies

I am now fascinated with the show "Hoarders" on A&E. It's a crazy concept. Let's go in to people's home who have not thrown anything away in years and let's fix the problem. I've always wanted to go and sift through the stuff. I would rather the house with just the things and not the food or animals. Everytime I see an episode with 100 cats or rotting food laying around, I can almost smell the stench coming through the TV. Thank God that no one has created smell-o-vision yet, because I wouldn't be able to handle.

It would be amazing to see what kinds of mementos people hang on to...every memory attached to that object. My curiousness is probably due to the fact that yes, if I let myself, I could probably be a hoarder. There's that little hoarder voice inside my head saying,"No! Don't throw this piece of paper away, you might need it again" or "Stop! Eventhough you don't eat olives, don't throw me away!"

I think all of us have a little hoarder inside. Do I really need 3 pairs of tennis shoes? YES! One for yardwork, one for running, and one "nice" pair. A little excessive? I say no, because I recently got rid of two pair. Had five, down to three. The only reason I got rid of them was lack of space.

As for Greg, how many hats does he really need? He only has one head. I understand him wanting to represent different teams, but does he really need 5 different Texans hats? I think this might be his hoarding tendency. Every time I suggest about getting rid of some, he looks at me appalled as if I just asked him to sacrifice his first born.

Moving on, it seems that all of these people have vices. Wanting to love cats, not liking to do dishes, keeping tons of food just in case they get hungry or keeping cherished memories through objects.

Mine, you ask? LAUNDRY! I've done the math. I usually am doing some kind of laundry 4 out of the 7 days in a week. I am sorting, washing, folding or putting away clothes more than half of my week. Pathetic, I know. I saw a lady once (on TV of course) who would use her kitchen table as the "clean pile". It was never folded, but atleast it was clean. I have almost considered that method. It's like that mythological creature, the Hydra. Every time you cut off a head, three grow back in its place. That's how laundry is for me, as much as I do, it keeps multiplying wanting to take over house and home and bury me alive.

But, alas, I like having clean clothes and the smell of Tide is one of my favorites. Hopefully you will never see me on Hoarders with laundry piled high to the ceiling. And now I leave you for the day to do my favorite chore....laundry :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!!! keep writing- gives a smile and keeps me a little tickled.

    ReplyDelete