Sunday, October 16, 2016

Kitchen Remodel is DONE!

This post has been a long time coming!  I am so excited to share with you what we decided to do with our kitchen.

Before
 When searching for our 3rd house, the thing on the top of my list was a completed kitchen.  Our previous two houses had the wonderful white laminate counter top/back splash that stained at the drop of kool-aid and seemed to never be able to keep clean.  Well, we finally chose a house that had everything on our dream list EXCEPT the kitchen.  So, first thing on our to-do list was to start saving up for a kitchen remodel.  We started with replacing the knobs, microwave, stove/cooktop and the dishwasher.  Then, life happened and the AC had to be replaced and mission trips had to be paid for.  2.5 years later and we finally got started!

Looking toward the laundry room.  Really dislike the faux painted wall of yellow and brown

Had our box flourescent light closed up and 4 can lights took its place
All that white counter top and back splash.  It really showed our house's age.
Still more white counters
White porcelain sink with a ton of scratchs

During

We chose yellow river granite for our counter tops and a tumbled stone with a light grout for the back splash. I really struggled with these decisions for some reason.  It seemed so easy to spend the money in my head, but in real life spending the money seemed a little more difficult. We went with the aged bronze for our faucet and a big stainless steel sink.






Paint!
This decision was another tough one.  I had so many ideas going through my head, I had a hard time just choosing one.  I didn't want it to be too "farmhouse" or too "country" but not super cookie-cutter either.  I was leaning toward a greenish gray, but when seeing them in person, our family actually went with a blue gray called "Fresh Idea".  I think it really compliments the wood tone and earthy tones of the counters.  It seemed WAY too blue at first, but once we got all of the red  and yellow off the wall it really did grow on me!






 Just for reference, the above picture are the original colors.  A butter cream on the top (which our whole house is painted in) and a crimson on the bottom.  All the butter cream was covered up by the new paint and the crimson was covered up by plank PVC bead board (best product ever!).

After (Finally!)








I love the completed look!  It makes me happy to walk in to my kitchen every day!  The counter tops are a great camouflage for crumbs (almost too good), and everything just seems to go together.

I was a little spoiled by renovation shows.  I thought it would all be done within two days, but the whole process took from finish to end was about two weeks and then I had to finish hanging the bead board.  The only thing I have left to do is paint the bead board a high gloss white, but who knows when that is going to happen and I wanted to share!


                               

2 comments: