Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mallory's "Re-Do" Dresser

When I was pregnant with Mallory I swore that she would never wear anything frilly or pink. Two years later, her small baby dresser was bursting with tutus, pink shirts and tons of shoes. I've been thinking about painting a wooden dresser we had to make it fit more in to Mallory's room. I finally got around to doing it these past couple of days.
Here's the dresser. Its main purpose was to house most of my yarn stuff. It actually had some cool history. It was Greg's great-grandmother's dresser. When I took out the drawers to paint them, on the bottom of one drawer was written: From Grandma, To Mary Kay. Mary Kay is Greg's mom, so a ton of people have used this dresser at one time or another.
As you can see, it has 6 drawers and what you probably can't tell from the picture is that it is on the smaller side, which fit perfectly in to Mallory's room.
Ta-Da! The finished product. I lightly sanded everything, and then put two coats of high-gloss paint on it. It's definitely not the best paint job, but it'll serve its purpose fairly well. The drawers are almost completely full, one drawer practically dedicated to tutus (those things take up a lot of space).
Basically everything was free on this project. The paint was in our garage from a previous project, and the dresser we already owned. The one thing that I did buy cost a lot (but totally worth it). I envisioned these handles while pulling off the old ones. After searching on the internet, they almost cost $10 and had to be shipped. I tried one last ditch effort and headed to Target. I don't know how Target got in my head, but they had these that fit perfectly with my vision. They were about $5 a piece, but I told myself it was Mallory's Easter present.
One DIY down, one million to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment