Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mission Germany: Check!



Looking back on my blog I saw my to-do list of what I wanted to accomplish while away in Germany.
1. Learn some German: check!

nien= NO!

super (pronounced ZUPA!)= super, great

scheneller=faster!!

bitte=please

liebe=love

guten appetit= have a good appetite!

spiel (pronounced "shpiel")=game

baseball=baseball

**My favorite of all: burgermeister= mayor. I will officially be calling our mayor burgermeister from now on.


2. Try schnitzel: check!

We DID try schnitzel and were surprised to find out that it is chicken fried pork. Chicken fried steak was basically a Germany invention, but instead of pork we put it with beef...still delicious though. We also had a lot of bratwurst, bread, nutella (I think atleast a jar each), and ice cream. I think Germany was after my heart with all of their great food.


3. Ride on the Autobahn: check!

So, based on movies I imagined the autobahn as an 8-lane wide road where you can drive as fast as you want and there is only one going straight through Germany. Well, come to find out the autobahn is the German word for "Highway". We went on the autobahn every day, numerous times and on some parts we did get to go as fast as we wanted (usually around 100 mph), but was not as glamorous as I had built up in my mind.

***Greg wanted me to add that we did get passed by a Ferrari going about 180 mph which he thought was pretty nifty.


4. Survive the International Flight: check! (a little obvious, right?)

I was worried about the lengthy flight because flying is not one of my "Top 10 Fun Things To Do", but it ended up being okay. The flight to Germany wasn't bad since it was overnight. But the flight home was a little rougher, an hour longer, and during the day which made it almost impossible for me to sleep. The added bonus: Got my own little TV and got to watch about 10 movies or shows.

Luckily, I did not get hit with a ball or bat in the face which I was very glad about. Greg did hit me in the shin with a ball, but I took it like a champ, thought "mind over matter" and didn't even bruise. lol.


I saw tons of huge Catholic Churches, took way too many pictures, stayed in a hostile for the first time, and got to play a lot of baseball.

Loved every minute of it, and would do it again in a heartbeat!



No comments:

Post a Comment