Friday, March 22, 2019

Dressers, Dressers, Dressers!

I have definitely been on a painting furniture kick these past 6 months.  They were all so different: the shapes, the colors, the handles. I loved that about them though.  Here they are!

Mission Style-Turned modern
This was a 6-drawer dresser that was mission style.  Pretty basic, and I think it turned out great! This isn't my favorite picture, but technology is disagreeing with me right now.   I sanded all the veneer to roughen it up and started priming and painting! This dresser was actually my first time using a roller.  It did leave a little bit of texture, but so does using a paint brush.  I just had to get used to how hard/soft to press and making long/consistent rolls.  We chose a flat dark blue paint.  It doesn't look very dark, but when it was placed in its home, it looked great.  We also changed the hardware to gold bars, which definitely modernized it! I was commissioned to do this one, and I hope they enjoy it for years to come!


 Chest of Drawers: Ethan Allen 1960's
This was a discarded piece of furniture.  It had some surface mold so it was given to me.  I was worried how it would clean up.  With a little elbow grease and a lot of bleach it came out great! I decided to leave drawers the original wood color, because they were in such great shape and a great tone.  The outer body had a little bit more damage, so I decided to paint that a pretty dark blue.  Yet again, this blue is actually darker when you get it into a room.  I guess that is the downside of working in your garage and getting so much sunlight, all colors look lighter than what they really are, and you see EVERY imperfection.

The handles were gold and rusty.  Took an old piece of plywood and drilled holes to hold all of my handles and spray painted them matte black.  My original plan was to use aged-bronze cup pulls, but the smaller pulls are 2" and I couldn't find anyone that made pulls that small, not even Amazon! I think it turned out great!  I didn't even post this one for sale, I had a friend's son in mind, it was a perfect addition to his room.


 Ethan Allen Chest of Drawers and two matching nightstands
This set was by far the hardest to fix up.  It was actually the first set I worked on, and it definitely took the longest.  Most of the effort was spent in gluing and repairing the outside of the furniture.  The panels were coming apart, so I ended getting wood glue and a pipe clamp and slowly putting it all back together.  I decided to leave the chest of drawers natural on top as well as the band around the center of the drawers. It was a pretty maple color with minimal damage.  I painted this my favorite gray color.  My pieces inside my house are this same color, I feel like it goes with every wood tone/metal color.  

The two nightstands had to be sanded pretty heavily with all of the water damage from glasses on the top of the furniture.  I ended up painting the top, I was never going to exactly match that wood stain, so I painted the tops and put some extra coats of polyurethane to make sure water stains don't happen again.

I also had trouble finding new pulls for this set.  They were 2" as well. So, I ended up spraying them matte black, like the chest of drawers above. 

All of this furniture was in our garage at the same time.  It was a lot of maneuvering around all the mess, and bumping in to wet paint.  I even ruined some sweaters bumping into things. So, I have to give a special thank you to my husband for putting up with my furniture habit.  We had to steer clear of going to any garage sales so I couldn't add to my collection.

Now that all pieces have been sold, I am excited to find my next project! Maybe another dining room table? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment