Sunday, August 4, 2013

Kid's Themed Movie Night: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I don't know about your kids, but mine are kind of picky eaters.  Not consistently, but it seems to come in waves.  One week they will eat everything on their plate, the next week I'll fix the EXACT same thing, and they will say it's gross and won't touch anything.  Well, that's when you have to start getting creative...

About a month ago, we finished reading Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk  (I know, we gave in to the Zombie craze, totally age appropriate though!).  In the book the mom renames food to match zombie body parts.  For example, scabs = macaroni and cheese, meatloaf=zombie brain.  My kids thought this was the best idea.  So, that night for dinner we had eyeballs (grapes), brains (toast), scabs (chicken nuggets), etc.  They ate everything up and even acted like zombies while eating.  I really couldn't complain, they were seated at the table AND ate all their food.
...Sadly this fad wore off after the book was finished and forgotten.

Moving on to yesterday, I was dreading the idea of fixing dinner, but decided to make it fun.  Since it was a Saturday night, we usually watch a movie (and it being 100+ degrees outside, I'd rather stay where there is AC).  So, I decided to turn it in to a movie themed night.  This week the kids decided to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  The first two Harry Potter movies are the only two the kids can watch (or be read aloud to) because I've deemed the other ones too scary for them for their age.

The kids and I made a big sheet tent where the proceeded to put every pillow we own under there.  In the end, it did look pretty comfy.

This is what I wrote on our chalk board in the kitchen:
Harry Potter Movie Night
For Dinner:
Witches hair with a side of eyeballs and brains.
Then, we will take a dip in the hot cauldron
For Dessert:  Cookies with buggies

To translate:
For Dinner:
Linguini with grapes and toast
Bathtime
For Dessert:  Chocolate chip cookies

At the end of the night, most of the food was eaten, baths were given and I got to watch a movie that I haven't seen in awhile.  We didn't finish it, due to it being the longest movie ever!!  Second installment to be coming soon.

I'm hoping to do this on a regular basis.  Maybe add in some arts and crafts next time.  The kids were happy, I was happy, which means a good night in my books.

Any good ideas for kid's themed dinners?  Thoughts appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment